Petone bundle Lower Hutt out of Chatham Cup

  17 May 2017   Comms team   Club News
Petone bundle Lower Hutt out of Chatham Cup

Petone FC is a club with a proud history. Three times Chatham Cup winners in their heyday. Today they are rebuilding in Wellington’s second division, Capital Premier. But they gave their club a real shot in the arm on Saturday, sealing a come-from-behind win in the Chatham Cup against cross-city rivals Lower Hutt in front of a packed clubrooms.

The first quarter of the match was a scrappy end to end affair and neither team fashioned a good chance. But in the 22nd minute Petone’s James Sheppard had his clearance blocked, the ball fell to Lower Hutt in the box, and Jared Cunniff finished calmly to give Lower Hutt a 1-0 lead. A lead they would hold comfortably until half time as Petone struggled to find any rhythm or hold possession.

But the second half was a completely different affair. The Petone midfield pair, brothers Sam and Michael Pickering, grabbed hold of the game and tipped the balance for Petone.

It took less than ten minutes for Ben Feld to equalise for Petone. Sam Pickering burst into the left hand channel and some sharp passing in the box found the evergreen Feld who made no mistake.

Lower Hutt weren’t entirely without spark, but were guilty of over-playing on the edge of the box and failing to get a shot away. Petone on the other hand were bursting forward repeatedly on the counter, Taban Dier tearing his old club to pieces.

It took Petone until the 80th minute to take the lead. A poorly defended corner was smashed into the roof of the net by Hayden Stuthridge from close range to make it 2-1.

Just five minutes later they put the game beyond doubt. Another Dier burst through the Lower Hutt back four and he soundly whipped a ball in to Zach Watson to knock home.

Dier had another goal ruled out for a very close offside call in the 89th minute, but it didn’t matter, there was no way back for Lower Hutt. 3-1 the final score.

Lower Hutt’s focus can now at least be solely on staying up, while Petone coach Paul Whitmarsh will have to balance the excitement of a Cup run with the bigger target of earning promotion back to Central League.

The rest of the Chatham Cup round didn’t fail to deliver either.

Stokes Valley also eyed a boilover against a team playing a league above, before Tawa closed out a 4-3 win at Delaney Park. Jake Philp equalised for Stokes Valley in the 67th minute and home supporters dared to dream, before Tawa’s Mike Ramaekers completed his hat-trick in the 89th minute after he’d scored from a penalty just before halftime.

Island Bay United progressed in a thriller against Waterside Karori, with the match between the Capital Premier rivals decided by an own goal in extra time. Scores were locked 2-2 at fulltime after Karori’s Facundo Barbero scored his second in the 65th minute. The teams got within seven minutes of penalties before Karori found their own net and Island Bay were celebrating within sight of their clubrooms at Wakefield Park.

Second-placed Central League side Stop Out had to work for their 2-1 win over Victoria University, with James Sharp sending them through to the next round in stoppage time.

Upper Hutt beat Kapiti Coast United one nil. Kieran Cripps scored a hat trick for North Wellington in a 4-1 win over Brooklyn.

Western Suburbs were untroubled by their trip to Wainuiomata, with hat-tricks to Ihaia Delaney and Owen Parker-Price securing a 7-0 victory.

Chatham Cup first round results (Wellington region):

Stokes Valley 3 (Ben Hewitt, Ryan Ellis, Jake Philp) Tawa 4 (Mike Ramaekers 3, Tom Hinder). HT: 2-3

Naenae 4 (Teah Hser, Corban Sellwood, Scott Stratford, Michael Glass) Seatoun 1 (David Silva). HT: 3-0

Wainuiomata 0 Western Suburbs 7 (Ihaia Delaney 3, Owen Parker-Price 3, Ahmad Mohammadi). HT: 0-4

Victoria University 1 (Tom Parker) Stop Out 2 (Scott Henderson, James Sharp). HT: 0-0

Upper Hutt City 1 (Josh Hinton) Kapiti Coast United 0. HT: 1-0

Petone 3 (Ben Feld, Hayden Stuthridge, Zach Watson) Lower Hutt City 1 (Jarred Cunniff). HT: 0-1

Brooklyn Northern United 1 (Catalin Borbath) North Wellington 4 (Kieran Cripps 3, Sam Gillespie). HT: 0-2

Island Bay United 3 (James Nellaney, Simon Gatward-Smith, own goal) Waterside Karori 2 (Facundo Barbero 2) after extra time. HT: 1-1, FT: 2-2

- Stuff / Capital Football