Winter Season 2015: Week 18

  7 August 2015   Comms team   Club News
Winter Season 2015: Week 18

Men's Football


Central League

Stop Out 9 v Grant Plumbing Petone 2 (Rich McLay 2)


Capital Premier

KCU 2 v Petone Reserves 0


Capital 3

Petone Thirds 1 v Wests 4


Petone Fourths 2 (Luke Waring, Kelly Higgins) v Marist 1


Have we made it clear we love Wayne Ebert


After a successful morning with the college team and being down 1-0, we hoped our college boys could back it up for the fourths.


The late game on the turf presented its own problems and today was no different. However in the whole scheme of things it did work itself out!
With the teams above needing subs and having players moved and shifted around we had a reasonably settled 11. A visit from Kelly from the Chuggers (having played earlier) to help me keep the bench warm while we waited for Kurt to arrive, who was helping the 2nds out on their bench, was well received. Not to mention Conny who was missing from our line up as he had just put 75 mins in for the 2nds also.


Our line-up was looking familiar with Beefy and Tyler in at CB and Jono and Brett as fullbacks. BJ was back this week and with Brad and Dylan in the CM, it left Anu and Kelly on the flanks with Lone Wolf Luke up top.

With no ref allocated again Gary stepped in and did another 90 in the rain! Legend. We started well having a couple of chances but not testing the keeper too much. We ended up sitting back with our 4-5-1 formation and it didn't suit our game and soon we found ourselves 1 down. A poorly controlled pass bounced free and was slotted away.  We were trudging our way back to half way, again. We spurred into action and played some nice through-balls and Anu and Luke caused their defence issues but without troubling the net!


They started to dominate us a bit and we changed it back to 4-4-2, but we weren't up to the fight with tackles being won mostly by them. Half time and into the dry changing rooms (while they stayed out in the rain!) to "discuss" how we could turn this around. With Kurt not turning up, Hami had come along (after a full 90 for 2nds) to see how things were going, and was happy to get kitted up for us should we need.
Out for the 2nd half and with Anu having re-injured his ankle, we quickly had a replacement in Higgins ready on the 55 min mark. Things moved up and back and chances created at both ends with GK Mike (back from his broken ribs) having a big say with some fine saves to keep things at 1-0. While at the other end we showed a little more fight, creating more chances and keeping the keeper honest with most of our shots. So onto about the 65 min and we replaced Dylan with Hami and pushed Brad out wide.   Andy and I had decided the back four should go to three so we could push an extra player forward and look for the equaliser. But as we were issuing the orders a corner came over and Luke was ready to keep his scoring run going. After a few attempts to put it away the ball fell to Luke just outside the 6 yard box and he slotted it calmly into the net, 1-1, we were in the points. We kept it at four across the back from there on!


Plenty of chances fell to both sides. Ebert broke away heading down to a one-on-one with the keeper. Higgins was screaming to the left and there was also an unmarked Brad. The ball was slipped across, but a little heavy, and Kelly could only put the ball beyond the post with his left. So with players tiring, our youth and experience combined to create the winner. On 88 minutes the ball was fed wide from the back through the midfield and back inside to Kelly just outside the 18 yard. He had a quick look, jinked to the right and let one fly to skim along the ground and scraped the inside of the post and boom 2-1 to the Blues with two to play. The crowd (well the half dozen parents and coaches) were ecstatic and time ticked away quickly before the ref gave the final whistle and woohoo another three points.


We are getting a bit dizzy with the height in the ladder we have climbed and jumped up to 6th now, with three games to go. A good effort by the team and an all round team performance made the drive home a lot better. We learnt from last week about playing out the death of a game and lifting the intensity, and it worked for us.


So on to next week, Sunday in Masterton at 3pm!!! What! There goes the weekend plans again. How many can we convince to travel over the hill to turn over one of the top sides?


Capital 6

Petone Chicago 4 v North Wellington 6


Capital 8

Petone Stonecutters 7 (Guy Balshaw 4, Matt Goldsbury 2, Ollie PIke) v Chuggers 1


Capital 10

Petone Pickle Jar 0 v Naenae 2



Masters Football


Masters 3

Petone Left Over Stew 0 v Petone Mighty Masters 3


Masters 5

Petone Dreamers 2 v Stop Out 4



Women's Football


Div 2

Powerex Petone Reserves 1 (Vanessa Pickin) v Stop Out 1


Petone Power Rangers 1 (Amanda Hewitt) v KCU 0


Coach Jeremy Bowen gives us a nice little run through…


Power Rangers faced KCU in the first round of the end of season Div 2 Cup at Memorial Park coming away with a well deserved 1-nil win. The team was a little down on numbers but everyone stepped up and played some of their best football of the season. The game turned at the 14 minute mark when Amanda Hewitt hit a long range shot from 25 yards out that had goal written on it all the way.


For the rest of the half we played some good possession football and dominated KCU who spent much of the time boxed in on defence. In the 2nd half, we had the wind against us so territory was more even. Our back three held things together while and our midfield were passing the ball with ease.  A little luck could have seen both Colette Mullin and Charlotte Butler on the scoresheet but some questionable tactics by the opposition defence spoiled things.


KCU threw everything at us for the last 5 minutes but never really looked like scoring and the game finished with just the one goal. A great reward for a total team performance.





Petone A 6 vs Wellington Olympic 1


Petone B 4 vs KCU 2



Junior Football


Plenty of ground changes this week as the weather started to play havoc with the Wellington and Hutt Valley fields.  Not to mention all that glorious mud that seems to radiate towards the kids as they play.  Personally the best suggestion I have heard to get rid of it is – straight out of the car, stand against the wall, and high pressure hose at the ready. Good fun!


This weekend the Phoenix came to Memorial Park again to watch the 7th & 8th grade teams in their Hutt Valley festival day.  It was great to see Roly getting involved and having a go with the kids in one of the games.  Showing his silky skills for the upcoming season.


There are only a few weeks left in the season with all grades finishing on the weekend of 29/30 August so make the most the game time and remember to send us in your photos and match reports.


Thanks to Harrison for this week’s match report from the 9th grade Wanderers


Today we played the Upper Hutt Lions and the Tigers at Trentham Memorial Park. It was nice to have a late kick-off so it was warmer than last weekend's frozen ground.


We played the first game against the Lions really well with some awesome passing and two great goals from Luke and Josh. Our two keepers never let a goal in and we won 2-0.


We knew the next game was going to be tough with the Tigers. But we fought hard and after being down 3-1 at half time. Two long range goals  from Sabian and some brilliant defence gave us a 3 all draw. The team was so happy to have played so much better in the second half. It must have been the coaches’ half time talk to compete for the 50/50 ball.


Player of the day was Liam Poskitt who did excellent defending and some amazing runs.


Harry Allen