Winter Season 2015: Week 11

  18 June 2015   Comms team   Club News

Mens Football


Central League

Grant Plumbing Petone 2 (Ben Feld, Jordan Pickering) v Tawa 0


Capital Premier 

Petone Reserves 1 (Ryan Benson) v Olympic 8


Capital 3

Petone Thirds 2 (Todd Bryant, Simon Conway)  v Waikanae 4


North Wellington 2 v Petone Fourths 2 (Brendan May, Luke Waring)


Wayne Ebert yet again comes through with a thorough breakdown…


With numbers short due to injuries and college KO times, we welcomed in the Whalen brothers for their 4th team debut. Hoping they could emulate their wee sister's heroics week to week scoring at will in the Women's 3rd team! But considering Karl ended up playing CB and Mark is a goal keeper, we were happy for them to just stop the goals at our end. And they sure did help with that. Also included was Cameron May from the 3rds, to help us with the attacking side of our game. 


North Wellington was 8th, one point ahead of us on the table so we knew things were going to be tight. The reason Karl had to go into CB was because Darryl Pickering tried to intercept a ball and over committed himself a bit. He threw himself into the turf fencing and in doing so damaged his arm but, worst of all, tearing a quad in the process. Sub please!! On comes Dylan a little earlier than expected. Luckily he had arrived early from his school game. 


After that eventful start, Cameron made a strong run toward the goal box and clashed heavily with an opposition player, he was awarded a free kick just outside the box. Up steps Brendon May, and with all of our attacking power heads at the far post, he curls one in to the bottom corner to take the early lead for the Blues. 


Things seesawed a bit from there and a couple of NW attacks saw the ball flying high and wide a few times in the Johnsonville wind! Then just before half time they swooped on a loose pass outside the box, hit it early and let the wind carry it over the back-peddling GK into the net to go into half time 1-1. 


With the subs (other college boys) arriving from their successful morning at SBC, we introduced Daniel Raju at half time to give us a little more spark down the right side.


The game went back and forth a little like a tennis match. With a few tired legs we made some on-field positional changes with Cameron and Luke coming into the midfield to allow Dylan and Matt to go up top. We got a free kick on half way over to the right, and Kurt stepped up. With a few options available (mainly given to him by the coaching staff - he was so close he couldn't ignore us) he powered it into the danger area. It landed just over the defensive wall and on the way down for the 2nd bounce it was Luke Waring who got his foot to it before the keeper could punch it away and we were back on top 2-1. 


We introduced "Bliss" to give Matt a breather.


With 10 minutes to go NW started to create more chances as we got tired, and again they put the ball high and wide, along with Mark making a couple of good saves. 


We then won a free kick similar to the last one we scored off. It was sent high and far aiming into Beefy and sure enough bang, he got to it first, but instead of his normal goal scoring games, this one hit the post and ran behind the keeper to be cleared off the line before a blue toe could react.


With two minutes to go it all changed and NW received the ball about 25 yards out in front and with no one to close the player down he took a touch closer to the box and hit it straight at the keeper, only for it to take a game changing deflection and into the net. 2-2.


This is how it ended up, points were shared and the positions on table stayed the same.


M.O.M was Kurt McGuiness.


Next week we’re on the turf against the table topping Wairarapa.


Capital 6

Petone Chicago 7 v Wainui 3


Capital 8

Waterside Sealords 0 v Petone Stonecutters 0


Petone Chuggers 7 (Matt Carnihan 5, Chris Gazley, Kay Nand)


Matt Carnihan, scorer of 5! takes us through a big Chuggers triumph…


The Karori Aces came to Stadio Memoriale (aka Petone Memorial Park) on the back of 3-0 defeat to Wellington United Barons, and this fixture turned out to be another rather unfortunate display for the “Boys in Striped Pyjamas”.


With a 4-4-2 formation reminiscent of the 90s, the Chuggers came out with a solid plan to keep the ball moving at pace, utilising the speed of Kunal (Kay) Nand and Kelly Higgins in wide areas. Along with Chris Gazley up front with Sony (he has one name, like a Brazilian footballer, and the music company, except he’s Fijian….go figure) – there were sure to be some goals in this game. With Simba Nixon and Mini Matt at Centre Back, The Chuggers always looked assured playing the ball out in the 1st half, with Skipper Johnson and returning Chugger “Ben” marshalling the middle of the park in typical robust fashion. 


The opening goal came at the 20th minute after a sweeping move, which culminated in Kay getting on the end of a pacey cross, his calm, composed finish bamboozling a rather already-dejected Aces keeper. With the first half in the books, a 1-0 lead was probably good value with the fact the Chuggers were playing into a stiff breeze, against a Karori team who really weren’t coming up with anything constructive.


The second half was all one way traffic right from the get go. Kay was having his most productive game down the left, being an ever-present threat to the Aces right back and Gaz had moved out wide on the right to accommodate a calf injury to top  Chuggers goal-scorer, Kelly Higgins (who WILL be fit for next weeks fixture, he has assured us all via Facebook). On came Matt Carnihan (Carney) in his familiar “not a striker, but not in midfield, so I’m not tracking back from No-Mans-Land between their defence and midfield” role. Carney immediately got in on the goal-scoring action (about time) latching on to a bouncing through ball before lobbing an advancing Aces ‘keeper, 2-0. A dangerous scoreline at any level. 


Karori continued to battle, to their credit, and won the odd tackle in midfield. Skipper Johnson and Ben were just too powerful in the middle and really stamped out any advances attempted in that area. Not long after the second goal, the Chuggers won the ball back in the defensive 1/3 and Kay managed to find space down the left hand side yet again. Kay, having skinned the right midfielder and played the ball infield to Carney, who unleased a 35 yard strike which nestled itself nicely in the bottom corner, 3-0 now and the floodgates looked like they would open. And they did.


Someone call Noah, we’re gonna need an Ark.


Gaz got on the score sheet from a corner kick, calmly slotting the ball home for a 4-0 lead. Points in the bag. The goal-scoring glut hadn’t finished however, with Carney adding another three well taken goals in short time to end the day on five goals (this is the second time a Chugger has bagged five in one game this season, with Kelly Higgins netting five against Seatoun earlier in the season) and man of the match honours.


Disappointingly, the Chuggers conceded a late goal, the final score 7-1. A resounding win for the boys in blue over the boys in the striped pyjamas. The Chuggers are now in 3rd place, three points off the leading Petone Stonecutters, albeit with a game in hand. 


As a whole, the Chuggers put on a footballing display that they’ve longed for all season. Quick passing, lots of movement and smart football were the order of the evening, and the Chuggers put it out there in spades. Every man contributed to the result, all putting in a good shift in their respective positions.


The Chuggers are the 2nd top scorers in the league and are tied for the best defensive record… mean feat considering the Chuggers were a leaky boat for most of 2014. Now, a top-4 place has the Chuggers set for a return to European Football in 2016, however, a dare-to-dream situation has now revealed itself in the locker room as the Chuggers chase a league title.


Capital 9

Porirua 4 v Petone Hawk Wasps 1


Capital 10

Vic University 12 v Petone Pickle Jar 2



Masters Football


Masters 3

Mighty Masters 3 v Wainui 4


Wellington United 1 v Left Over Stew 1


Masters 5

Seatoun 3 v Dreamers 2



Womens Football


Premier League

Stop Out 0 v Powerex Petone 7 (Vanessa Olson 2, Kirstie Baker, Emily Strik, Jade Morrissey, Sarah Kendall, own goal)


Womens Div 2

KCU 0 v Petone Powerex Reserves 5 (Bianca Mueller 3, Andrea Carter, Sarah McIntyre)


Wainui 6 v Petone Power Rangers 2 (Amanda Hewitt 2)



U17's Football


Petone A 2 vs IBU-Sharks 4


Petone B 2 vs North Wellington Saints 4



Junior Football


This week we take a look at some of the older junior grades, some of which had a round of friendlies, which to be fair sounds a little weird mid-season.  Anyway, draws were to be the order of the day in much of the 12th grade this week with the Settlers continuing their unbeaten record drawing with Onslow (2-2) at Sladden Park.  This was closely followed by a scoreless draw for the Wanderers, and equally impressive draws for the Rovers against Naenae (1-1) and the Aurora who topped the goal scoring list with a 3-3 draw against Stop Out. The only two to buck the trend were the Nomads who lost to Stokes Valley and the Villagers with a 1-0 win over Wainuiomata.  


The 13th grade Settlers headed out to Adventure Park to take on PNS Western Suburbs Titans in a ‘friendly’.  After a tight battle Wests came away the victors 2-1.  The Wanderers faced North Wellington Falcons on the turf at Alex Moore.  Whilst there were plenty of goals, they also lost 6-3.  In the final game for the 13th grade, unfortunately the news is not much better, with the Villagers heading out to the infamous Richard Prouse Park to play Wainui.  I would have to say that the score probably wasn’t a reflection of the effort from the players, but nonetheless they were beaten 7-0.  Better luck this week!  


Now for another shout out for more match reports please!  It is great to hear how the junior teams are going and in the players own words.  So send them to us by Monday evening via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 


This week we feature the girls only 10th grade Wanderers, and 11th grade Settlers. 


Petone 10th grade Wanderers (Girls only league)


We played one game plus a bye.  We played BNU Flyers and won 2-1. In the first half Sophie L scored our first goal with a fine run and finish. In the second half after some fine build up play Amelia scored our second goal.


BNU scored a goal a few minutes before the end of the game.


BNU had some tall and good players. But we played hard and won.


Zoe!!! :)


Petone 11th grade Settlers 3 vs PNS Western Suburbs 2


Today we played the Western Suburbs team from Ole Academy out at Whitby on the artificial turf.  We kicked off at 10.00 there was a lot of tension between both teams, even though it was a friendly we still wanted to win.


So we got under way against Ole.  We started really well then Kyde scored but it was disallowed because he was offside.  We still really wanted to stay on to because we knew how good they were.  We carried on with the momentum then before we knew it Kyde made sure he wasn’t offside this time – that was 1-0 to Petone.


After the goal we were hoping we could stay on top so we tried to do everything Dad had taught us through the year and we succeeded.  Ryan put a cross in and Kyde stuck it in the back of the net, it was 2-0.  Ole kicked off again, they had a few good stints and some shots on goal.  We played some really nice footie through the middle, then Lucas put a through ball to me, but unfortunately I didn’t time my run, I scored, but it was offside.  For the rest of the half we wanted to carry on the way we were playing and we did.  Lucas put it in the top corner, everybody was celebrating because we were 3-0 at half time.


The referee got the second half started, Petone kicked off. To start off we were a bit sluggish and Ole had started to play and create opportunities.  We wanted to start off the way we finished the first half.  Both teams made chances at goal with great all round play.  Ole Academy were quite physical and a lot of the time they kept on playing it across the face of the goal and the goal keeper wasn’t afraid to fiddle around with it in the box.  We were into the last 15 minutes of the game, then Ole got one back, it was 3-1 with 15 or so left.  We were starting to fall asleep, so we kept encouraging the boys so they didn’t equalize. In the last five minutes they made it 3-2, it came down to the wire.  In the last minute our goal keeper got a knee in the back, we still had to play on.  Ole had one last play until the ref blew for full time and Ole made nothing out of it, so we came out with the win.  Final score 3-2 to Petone – everybody was thrilled with the result.


Jared Eglinton