2014 Winter Season: Week 3

  21 April 2014   Jeff Bell   Club News
2014 Winter Season: Week 3

The third weekend of the winter season came with more cancellations. It is hard to remember a season so affected by transfers and cancellations by Easter.


Central League

With all of the rain in the past week, our Central League visit to Wairarapa United was transferred to the Maidstone Park turf. Grant Plumbing Petone started strongly keeping the Wairarapa defense busy.Despite having the best of the first 30 minutes it was Wairarapa who drew first blood with a goal mouth scramble. After making a solid save on a close range shot, Dan Clarke was stuck on his back and left helpless as Wairarapa bundled the ball across the line.


In a repeat of last week, the boys in blue were slow to start after the break again conceding a soft goal within moments of the restart. Finding ourselves two goals down the boys rallied and started to push into Rapa's half. A low cross in front of goal evaded their defenders and gave Paul Whitmarsh a simple tap in at back post to get us back into the game. Four minutes later a poor clearance from a Rapa defender put the ball straight up and into the goal box. Once again Stick was in the perfect place to challenge for the ball, going up against the keeper and forcing him to spill the ball into the back of the net. A good comeback from the lads to fight their way back into the game. A 2-all draw a fair reflection of the game.


Men's Football

In Capital Premier, our reserves had a tough task ahead of them coming up against a very capable Waterside Karori side. A strong performance meant the boys held Wharifes to a respectable nil-all draw to claim their first point of the season.


In Capital 3 we have the Armanis and the Third team. A couple of requests from the Armanis means we will gloss over their 7-0 loss to Waterside Karori. The Third team had a much better time on Friday with a 3-0 win over Masterton.


In Capital 10 the Petone For Shore had a rough day at the office against Upper Hutt City losing 3-0.


In Capital 14 we welcome our newest team the oddly named Petone Pickle Jar. After a 4-1 first round win and a 7-5 loss the Pickle Jar are definitely a team who can score goals. On Friday they had a great 8-3 win over Island Bay. Their next game is this Wednesday night at Petone Memorial, kickoff at 6:30pm.


After a rough start in their introduction to life in Masters 4, the Dreamers had a more respectable 2-0 loss to the wonderfully name Brooklyn Northern Pasta our Best.


Women's Football

Coming off back to back wins the Pure were odds on favourites against a Brooklyn side who were scrambling to get the numbers for a side. A slow start from the girls was a sign of things to come. Despite working hard things just didn't seem to gel. A couple of good chances went begging in the first half before Sarah Duffin slotted home a good low drive across the goal into the side netting. Things looked like they might improve but Brooklyn fought hard and picked up an equaliser not long after. Towards the end of the second half the football looked better but no changes to the scoreline meant the points were shared. A draw means the Pure drop to third in Women's 1 but remain only two points off first place.


In the late game at Memorial yesterday, the Paulers took on Island Bay in Women's 3. Starting the stronger of the two Petone hit the side of the net early before an outstanding goal from Hayley Potter put us 1-0 up. Island Bay equalised not long after before Jo Morrissey went on a storming run through the middle of the park and curled the ball in off the right upright to put the Paulers 2-1 ahead. In the second half Island Bay again equalised with a good goal from the middle of the park. Late in the second half with the game looking like it was destined for a draw, Jo returned to the field and in quick fashion beat the keeper for her second goal making it 3-2.


Under 17s

Our Under 17B side started things off yesterday morning at Maidstone Park at 9am. Unfortunately falling 2-1 to Naenae. Following on directly after that it was the turn of our Under 17A side. The boys started off strongly and controlled much of the first half. A couple of good chances were spurned before a mishit through-ball fell perfectly for a fantastic strike to make it 1-0. Things stayed that way for the second half. The win puts Petone fourth on goal difference.